FORMALLY KNOWN AS THE THOMAS ROWLAND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL 1915 - 1977 The Rowland School was named for Thomas Rowland, whose family owned a great deal of land in Cheltenham and operated many mills. The original four-room school opened in 1915 on the South side of Myrtle Avenue, facing Elm Avenue in Cheltenham. In 1924, a six-room addition was built and in 1964, more rooms were added. The school closed in 1977 due to decreasing enrollment. The building is currently owned by the township and is the home of Rowland Community Center and the East Cheltenham Free Library.
Return to School Buildings