class of 1942
inducted in 2002
Richard S. Lowe
Court of Common Pleas Montgomery County
Richard S. Lowe, Class of 1942, served
in the U.S. Army infantry during World War II in the 84th Division. He
arrived in Europe in June of 1944 where he fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He received three Battle
Stars and a Bronze Star. He returned home in February of 1946 and enrolled in
college. He graduated from Temple University in 1948 with a B.S. in political
science. He then went on to graduate from Temple University Law School with an LL.B.
While maintaining a private law practice, Lowe served as district attorney of
Montgomery County. In 1968 he took the oath of office of
Judge of the Court of Common Pleas of Montgomery County for a ten-year term.
For the next ten years until 1986 he served as President Judge of Montgomery
County Court of Common Pleas. During his tenure he lectured at various
conferences including the National Judicial College in Reno, Nevada; Pennsylvania Conference of State Trial
Judges; and for the Pennsylvania District Justices. Judge Lowe retired from
active judicial service in December, 1994, and under current Supreme Court
regulations he will be permitted to serve as a Senior Judge until December
Judge Lowe has been honored with numerous awards and distinctions including
Honorary Membership in the Montgomery County Fraternal Order of Police and
the Gold Medallion given by the Chapel of Four Chaplains.
Personally, Judge Lowe married Frances Evelyn (nee Steeley)
on August 28, 1948. They have two children, Diane Alison and Donald Kent,
both of whom graduated from Germantown Academy and Bucknell University. Diane later graduated from the
Pennsylvania University School of Medicine at the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. Donald graduated from the University
of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine. Mrs. Lowe died September
26, 1996. Judge
Lowe then married Phyllis Ann Hoffman and they now reside in Souderton.